STARTING TODAY, GIVE FOR TOMORROW - DECEMBER 1, 2020
Tomorrow is full of questions. But the answers are up to us!
Our new normal is a world of uncertainty and change. That will take some getting used to. But we need to do more than adapt to a post-pandemic world. We need to build a better one. Thousands of people in our community devastated by the events of 2020 need your support to rebuild their lives.
At the beginning of the year, none of us were prepared for what we would confront. And no one knew how many in our community would need our help. Faced with once-in-a-generation challenge, Indiana County stepped up. United Way staff, donors, volunteers and our entire community came together in an unprecedented way. We helped our neighbors who were most impacted by the global pandemic and economic downturn get the relief and support they needed.
But there is so much more to do. Thousands in our community still struggle with unemployment, food insecurity, housing and health challenges. Many don't know where their next meal is coming from, or how they will pay the rent or the bills. Even more are teetering on the edge without back-up savings. Kids are struggling with an unconventional school year. Adults are facing mental health challenges like anxiety and depression.
- 11 million Americans are unemployed
- More than 1 in 10 don't know where their next meal is coming from
- At least 30 million people are at risk of eviction
- Almost 3 in 10 adults have no emergency savings
- 2 out of 3 children don't read proficiency for their grade level
- 15% of students don't graduate high school
- 18%% of kids struggle with childhood obesity
- Nearly 1 in 5 adults live with a mental illness.
These are our neighbors. And they cannot wait any longer for relief, for support, for the opportunity to live a healthy, thriving life.
At United Way of Indiana County, we are working toward a new tomorrow for our community, one that offers:
- Strong starts for children
- Safe homes and warm meals
- New career paths
- Fresh starts
- Opportunities for physical activity
- Access to health care
- Thriving families
We must build a better future for our community, one where very person has an equal opportunity to thrive.
Ways to get involved this Giving Tuesday:
- Donate online by clicking the GIVE TODAY button.
- Text to give- text CommunityStrong to 243725
- Create your own Facebook fundraiser- click here and select the United Way of Indiana County for your Giving Tuesday fundraiser. Facebook will match $7 million in qualifying donations. Create your own fundraiser today!
- Venmo- @unitedwayindianacounty
Let's not put off until tomorrow the work that we can start today. Respond to the new year with hope, with possibility, with action.
Together, we can build a tomorrow that is better than yesterday. For every single one of us.
All we need to do is Start Today United! #communitystrong #liveunited #givingtuesday